Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Rehab...The Latest Craze!

I think we have all encountered someone in our lives who has had problems with some substance or another. Perhaps some haven't...they are lucky and I am envious. For those of us who have had the privilege of being involved in some way, shape or form with an addict...there is no more frustrating relationship. The waters are entirely unnavigable. One never knows what to anticipate. Who, exactly, is going to show up to dinner tonight? What sort of tales are they going to spin? Which reality will be the reality du jour?

I have been following the story of Pedophile Emeritus, Mark Foley, since it broke late last week. I'm still a part-timer at work and need to fill my afternoons with something. News is something. At least it's not soap-operas or worse, Oprah-the-Anti-Christ.

Anyhow...I'm finding this trend, which is being widely reported so it should come as no surprise, of people seeking rehab a skosh alarming. And here is why...it denigrates the struggles of a true addict who is seeking help.

An...um...acquaitance, friend...hell...I have no idea what sort of relation he is to me, entered a treatment facility about a month ago. This news was passed along to me by his sister. I haven't heard from anyone since (re: my question mark post last month about having to deal with information dropped in your lap and left to rot) regarding progress, success and/or failure. It's frustrating, but not entirely surprising, either.

Reflecting on my involvement with this character, I had many mutual friends say, "Kodos...there is something off about this guy." The general consensus among the group was that he was actually quite smart but said and did an inordinate amount of stupid things. I mean stupid and not worth breaching confidences to go into further detail. Carrying on a simple conversation with him at times was challenging. For some reason, the usually keen, astute Kodos did not pick up on it. Knowing what I know now...it is as plain as the non-nose on my alien face. This guy is a user. A drunk. A sot. A sauce swiller. An alcoholic. And sick. Sick and in need of dire help (should any of this prove to be true. See what happens when you hang around addicts, you end up not knowing what to believe.).

The "whatever" goes into rehab. I sincerely hope he can clean his life up, get his shit together and move forward. I feel an enormous amount of something; sympathy, empathy for a middle aged man who has to spend the rest of his life dodging the sauce and the demon. However, he bought that fairly and squarely. That is his cross to bear. If he's a man, he will suck it up.

But back to the my ramblings about rehab. Why is it currently vogue for people to duck and dodge their responsibilities via a treatment program for substance abuse? Do these people actually have a problem or are they avoiding a most unpleasant reality?

I must say that my respect for celebrities and politicians, albeit virtually non-existent, wanes even further. Rehab is for people with substance abuse issues. Not "issues." Check yourself into a psychiatric hospital if you find your reality too cumbersome for digestion. Don't tie up valuable resources which may be much more suited to a different candidate because you're a damn coward or afraid of being labelled with some ailment that is not on a top ten list of trendy afflictions.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home