Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Raleigh

I live in Raleigh, NC. Repeat after me, "Raleigh." We pronounce Raleigh, RAH-LEE. Challenging, yes?

Few things grate on my nerves more than advertising that just cannot seem to understand or appreciate its demographic. I have heard commercials calling the City of Oaks, Raw-lee. It's not Raw-lee. It's RAH-LEE.

There is a dreadful ad for Verizon Wireless airing on television. I am not sure if it is an attempt at being cheeky, but one of the actors says, "A rest-stop in Raleigh?" She pronounces the name of the City of Oaks, "Rally," as in road rally, pep rally and the Nuremburg rally (not an endorsement).

Look...if you are going to peddle your wares in a specific market, please...please...please pronounce the name of the phucking city appropriately.

I live in Raleigh, NC. That's RAH-LEE, shit-wits.

~~~~~~

Dock loves when I send letters to people. I sent this a few minutes ago to the folks at Verizon:

I am not a customer and I do not plan on being one. The primary reason: YOU CANNOT PRONOUNCE THE NAME OF MY CITY CORRECTLY IN YOUR ADVERTISEMENTS (and inserted a copy of my blog post in the correspondence).

Very lulzy for us and that's all that really matters, anyhow.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10/03/2006 08:18:00 PM , Blogger Toronto1 said...

Yes, I know when someone does not pronounce your hometown name wrong. Like us in Toronto, not Toronta, The Big Smoke or Hogtown. We are not pigs, I don't like smoke and we are not Toronta.
It's like Boston, there not Beantown.
Get it right or don't say it at all.

 
At 10/03/2006 08:39:00 PM , Blogger High Priestess Kang said...

Toronta? Who in the hell would call it Toronta???

I could see mangling the "o" by Canadian standards...but adding an "a" to the end of Toronto?

You know...I am thinking a lot of people attended George W Bush or Ronald Reagan elementary school.

 
At 10/04/2006 12:57:00 PM , Blogger Emory Mayne said...

I despise the commercial...... The blonde bimbo needs the pink slip!

 
At 10/04/2006 01:00:00 PM , Blogger High Priestess Kang said...

That blonde bimbo needs to be hit over the head with a blunt object. Along with the masterminds behind that particular commercial.

I think they need to go stand in the middle of the ESA (RBC Center or whatever the name is today) and be pelted with hushpuppies and biscuits.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home