Monday, May 22, 2006

Complete Bullshit

I have many, many issues with the Bush Administration. Many. Too numerous to list. They ride the third rail like some drunken college girl riding a mechanical steer at a bar on spring break. Gay marriage? Booooo-hisssssss. Religion in schools? Booooo-hisssssss. 09.11 being the answer to everything. The random Bin-Laden tape that miraculously surfaces whenever the shit is about to hit the fan.

It frustrates the bejeebus out of me because un-thinking, empty-headed Americans (you know...the 51% who voted for Bush in 2004) actually drink this serving of Kool-Aid.

*mounts the dais*

My fellow Americans, you need to be scared. You need to be very scared. The precious, Fourth Estate is at risk. Our only check and balance remaining in this country since the Republicans seemingly have control of EVERYTHING.

I should like to present, for your reading displeasure and subsequent appetite suppressant, a link to a more than likely overlooked article in the Washington Post today. Had I not been a Countdown with Keith Olbermann addict, I do not know that I would have heard about this (I am ashamed to say). I do not recall a story on this during NBC Nightly News. Then again, Bono is in Africa and what could be more important than that?????

Prosecution of Journalists is Possible in NSA Leaks by Walter Pincus, Washington Post Staff Writer

Here is the meat of the issue:

"Under that act, the Justice Department is prosecuting two former lobbyists for the American Israel Public Affairs Committee for receiving and transmitting classified information they received from a Defense Department official, who recently pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 12 years in prison. U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis III, who is presiding over the AIPAC case, is weighing a motion to dismiss the charges based on the defendants' claim that the 89-year-old espionage statute is unconstitutionally vague and might violate the First Amendment."

"Yesterday, Gonzales said, 'I understand very much the role that the press plays in our society, the protection under the First Amendment we want to promote and respect . . . but it can't be the case that that right trumps over the right that Americans would like to see, the ability of the federal government to go after criminal activity.'"

Gonzales understands the role the press plays in our society. Perhaps. But does he respect it? Will he uphold the values of the Fourth Estate? Or...will he just twist the law to serve the Bush Administration yet again?

Folks...our civil liberties and Constitutional Rights are being flagrantly violated by this Administration. And our Representatives in the House and the Senate are standing by and allowing this.

Is this something you really want? Really???

I realize that I'm preaching to the choir here. I do. Those of you who humour me with visits to Kangworld do not come here to read the accolades of the Bush Administration. But this story almost slipped under my NeoCon hate radar. It shouldn't. And if I can expose one person to this burgeoning travesty of justice, I will sleep better at night.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 5/24/2006 07:26:00 AM , Blogger High Priestess Kang said...

I hope so! We certainly need someone looking out for the little guy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home